Monday, April 12, 2010

Amish Friendship Bread

Have you ever heard of this? It is like a chain letter for bread. But not just any bread - the best bread you have ever tasted. Actually it is more of a cake. Here is how it works. Someone gives you a starter bag. You mash it for 10 days, adding three ingredients on day 6. Then on Day 10 you add some more ingredients and make three new starter bags. Then you bake the bread. You keep one starter kit for yourself and give the other two away to friends.

Our bake day was on this past Friday. We baked and then we ate, and ate and ate. I had to run the starter kit and a slice of bread over to my neighbor while the bread was still pipping hot. If I hadn't there would have been nothing to bring over. If you are ever given a starter kit - take it. And then count the days until you bake.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I just did this! I ended up with two starters after the first week, and then I had 4 loaves to bake this week, so then I had a whole bunch more starters! I brought them to work and left them on a table with copies of the recipe and 2 loaves of the bread. The bread went faster than the starters- LOL! It is really good though. (Mine makes 4 starters? Must be a slightly different recipe.)

    ReplyDelete