Sunday, January 6, 2013

Butterfly Strip Piece Quilt


Happy New Year to my 16 loyal followers. I have left you a drift for several months.  But have no fear I have a couple of new posts coming up.  We will start with this one.  This is a strip piece quilt, sometimes called a string quilt.  It uses all scraps and was made one block at a time.  This took some orchestrating as I had to make sure to make the correct number of colored blocks so that the pattern would work out.  This is my own design and I laid everything out like a map before I started quilting.  The scraps were sewn onto 10 inch blocks.  The base of the block was made from a white IKEA sheet.  I figured since only one strip of the sheet would show I didn't need to spend a lot on a base material.  I added some butterflies that I cut with my acuquilt.  I also added pink rickrack when I was binding the quilt.  This quilt possibly, maybe, has too many things on it.  But since I was making it for myself I decided to go all out.  I took this quilt to work as I felt by cubicle needed some color.  So now it hangs on the back of my chair and just blasts color.  I actually received a compliment from a male co-worker!

No comments:

Post a Comment