Monday, March 19, 2012

Pin Wheel Quilt


This is my friend Barbara's quilt.  I made it for her using her husband's shirts.  The pillows were also made from his shirts.  I used my Accuquilt to cut out 6 inch squares.  Actually one of my boys cut out all the squares.  I then sewed two squares together to make the triangles.  The triangles then matched up to make the pin wheels.  I think I used about 8 shirts total.  It may have been less.  One shirt can yield almost 36 squares.  There are several good blogs that show you how to cut a men's shirt to get the most use out of it.  The back and the boarder were made from one twin size sheet.  The pillows were made from one shirt each.  I used the shirt buttons as the way to put the pillow inside.  So the insert can be easily removed and the pillow case washed.  Using old shirts is a great way to preserve the memory of a loved one.

2 comments:

  1. Alyssa,
    I love this quilt and pillows, and am so grateful to you for sharing your talents with me. The pinwheel design is a showcase for this type of quilt. Thank you so, so much again. The quilt and pillows are a great way to honor the memory of my husband. xox Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this kind of quilt...every one is unique...

    ReplyDelete